Tuesday 28 January 2020

Chemistry@HOME - Citalopram

I focused on citalopram for my chemistry at home presentation because it is a drug that I take myself and I thought it would be interesting to find out a bit more about it. 

Citalopram is a "Selective Serotonin Re-uptake Inhibitor" which means that it regulates the absorption of serotonin into the brain and is classified as an antidepressant. (1,2) Serotonin is a neurotransmitter responsible for regulating ones sleep, mood and digestion among other things. (1,2) In those with anxiety or depression, serotonin is absorbed into the brain too quickly and is not available to transmit signals. This causes symptoms commonly associated with anxiety such as rapid heartbeat, loss of appetite and constant worry. (2)  

The most common dose is 20mg a day, taken once in the morning with food. (1)  Citalopram is relatively safe, as it would take over 3000mg a day for a 100lb person to overdose which would be very hard to do. (3)

 There are however, as there is with any drug, side effects. Personally for me, I don’t get any of the common side effects such as nausea, headache or changes in sleep or eating patterns. I get involuntary muscle jerks when I fall asleep. Similar to hypnic jerks (that feeling when you’re almost asleep and you dream that you’re falling off of a cliff and you jerk awake), but it is only one muscle and it is not as powerful as a hypnic jerk. Usually I get them every 5-10 seconds in my face, arms, or stomach from the moment I start to relax until I fall asleep.

Overall, the side effects of citalopram are not significantly worse than the anxiety symptoms I experienced before taking it and so, I would recommend this drug to others suffering with anxiety or depression.  





(1) Citalopram. (2005, June 13). Retrieved January 22, 2020, from https://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00215
(2) Ciccarelli, S. K., & White, J. N. (2014). Psychology: Dsm 5. Boston: Pearson. doi: https://psychiatryonli ne.org/pb-assets dsm/update/DSM5Update_October2018.pdf

(3)  Zentiva. (n.d.). Citalopram 10mg Tablet. Retrieved January 22, 2020, from https://www.medicines.org.u k/emc/product/5152/pil
PHOTO- Bisson, S. (2020). Citalopram and me, Alberta, 2020. [Photograph].  

No comments:

Post a Comment